Monday, February 26, 2007

eM oT yadhtriB yppaH

My first memories of a birthday was while I was with my grandparents in Kerala. While I was with them, the birth star was considered to be more important than the birth date. So on Kumbha masa(month) Tiruvaathira nakshatram(star), I used to go to Tirunakara Temple in Kottayam or Ettumannur Lord Shiva temple.

My birthstar coincides with the annual festival of Ettumannur temple, so I still have memories of the crowed temple and how tough it was to get a glimpse of the deity. These memories were during my kindergarten days.

After joining school, I used to eagerly wait for my birthday. One major reason was that we could get to wear color dress, while the entire school came in school uniforms. It also felt good when everyone would wish you throughout the day – in the school bus, in the class, in corridors. I still remember my birthday in 1988, when I got up early, and went around the neighbourhood distributing sweets; before I left for school.

The ritual of wearing color dresses stopped when you go to higher classes, I still remember how awkward I felt when I appeared in color dress in my 8th standard. That day I decided that I would never again wear a color dress to school.

Another special birthday was when I turned 13. It was the thrill of becoming a teenager than anything else which made the birthday special. Similarly I was so heartbroken when I was 19 years old, I tried making the day special for myself since I knew that it would be my last teen birthday.

The birthdays in colleges were memorable again for the huge crowd which turned out of my hostel rooms to wish me for the birthday (I guess they were there for kicking me rather than wishing me, but still I would like to believe that they were there to wish me), cutting of cakes, cakes being smeared on your face and body and taking bath at midnight.

Today, as I add another year to my age, I tried to remember all the previous birthdays, thus writing this post.

PS: Read the title of the blog from right to left if it does not make sense!!!

4 Comments:

At February 26, 2007 11:27 PM, Blogger Thanu said...

Happy b'day. Hope all ur dreams come true.

As we get older, B'days seem a lot less important.

 
At February 27, 2007 8:59 PM, Blogger Danesh said...

!yad eht fo snruter yppah ynaM

 
At March 07, 2007 12:06 PM, Blogger Riot said...

It is probably a little too late to say this.... Belated Happy Birthday! Wish you a great year ahead

 
At March 16, 2007 9:22 AM, Blogger Megan Hawk said...

Belated bday wishes...yes , I can understand "the colour dress" feeling... :) When I think back to those days , can't help feeling amused...
Even now I do feel that birthdays have a special charm...positive vibes , and an innate happiness which is so true...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home