Friday, May 19, 2006

My Updates - Reservation - Da Vinci

I’d been caught up with a few training sessions, hence was unable to blog for sometime. My blogs have gone down over the past 2 months, since I don’t have computer access at home. I write my blogs from the office.

My dad has left for Nashik. He will be returning back within a week or two to shift. After that, I’d be all alone. Have not yet decided as to where I would be staying. There are a few options, I can stay with my uncle, or with some friends or in the company hostel. My uncles place is far from the office, I will get bored at my friends place and company hostel life will be too lonely. Anyways, since there is some more time, I shall keep delaying my decision.

Last week I invested in the stock markets for the first time, and the results are showing. This week the markets have been extremely volatile. It has even registered the biggest loss in a day, yesterday. Since the money I’ve invested is locked in for 3 years, I hope I get a decent return when the mutual fund matures.

The row over reservations is still raging on. Junior doctors across the country is up in arms. The government is adamant that the reservations would be implemented, and juniors doctors have claimed that they would not return to work. In between, it’s the patients who are suffering, since they are unable to get proper treatment.

The government has promised to please everyone in the reservation issue. They plan to increase the number of seats in every college, so that the general category students do not feel the pinch. I am not sure whether this plan will succeed, since increase in the number of seats would in turn require increase in infrastructure, staff and faculty in colleges. This would cost more, which means I will have to pay more taxes.

I think the government should start a separate IIT, IIM and Medical college exclusively for the SC/ST/OBC. They should leave the existing reservation system as it is. This way, we can save a lot of money, and the backward communities would not complain.

In between, doctors in Tamilnadu have come out in support of the governments rule to implement quotas. They have decried the strike of junior doctors in various parts of the country. We humans, always try to find the easiest way to get things. Till now the backward students in Tamilnadu have been able to gain entrance into prestigious colleges in their state quiet easily. Thanks to the 69% reservation for the backward community. But after MBBS, when they have to face real competition to get admission for higher studies, they fall short. Many do not get through, and this new move will see to it that a lot of doctors from Tamilnadu do make it to prestigious colleges. God bless them!!!

A few days ago, another row started up. This time the reason was the movie “Da Vinci Code”, directed by Ron Howard, starring Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou. Christian groups within the country felt that its blasphemous to show a movie which claimed that Jesus married one of his disciple and had children from her. Various groups have taken to the streets to ban the movie. State Governments have written to the center to stop the movie from being screened.

I wonder where the so called protesters were when Graham Staines and his children were burnt in Orissa. Where were the co called religious sentiments when nuns were being raped in north India? Would a movie cause more harm to a religion than a man getting killed or the nuns getting raped?

The movie had been cleared by the Information and Broadcasting ministry and by the Censor Board. The movie will hit the screen next week, and I hope there are no further problems. I am a great fan of the novel, and was eagerly waiting for the movie.

1 Comments:

At May 21, 2006 12:18 PM, Blogger me2007 said...

eer umm agree to wat you say about reservation and the movie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home