Thursday, May 04, 2006

Last Week

Last week was quiet hectic. There was a four-day training in my office, which started at 9am and would end at 5pm everyday, and since my parents had gone to Kerala to visit our relatives for a week, the stay at home was also not exciting.

I had to wake up early so that I had time to prepare tea in the morning, since I cannot do without having a cup of tea or coffee in the morning. I used to sleep with 2 alarms set for 5:30am in the hall while I used to sleep in my bedroom, which made sure that I would get up on time.

Evenings were a real torture. When I returned home, the house wore a deserted look. There was no one to speak to, no one to laugh along with, and in short I was bored to death at home. I used to prepare another cup of tea in the evening, which I used to have along with the snacks which I bought on my way back home. Mom had made some dossa batter and I used to make dossas every day.

This routine continued for 3 days until the dossa batter fermented beyond use, thanks to a power cut while I was in my office. I did not feel like eating out in a restaurant, so decided to try something out by myself – this was the first time I was trying to cook in my life.

I called Mom, asked her how to make scrambled eggs and set about making it. It came out pretty well and for the next three days, I had bread and scrambled eggs for dinner. I did not feel like experimenting further, so kept making the same scrambled eggs every night.

During the weekend I had planned to attend the wedding of our classmates from TAPMI. The boy and the girl had met during the 2 year stay at Manipal, had fallen in love and now they were ready to start a new chapter in their love life. Except for three, the rest of the people in our close friend circle were planning to attend the wedding.

I was to fly from Bangalore to Bombay along with 2 other friend. We would be joined by 2 more from Bombay, and we planned to take a train to Pune. The remaining 3 friends joined us in Pune.

The wedding went along well. It was the first time I was watching a Gujju-Marathi wedding, so most of the rituals were new to me and I was keenly watching all of them. There was a garba dance on the night before the wedding; I did not know the steps, hence did not participate.

The wedding was a long grueling process for the bride and the groom. It started by 10:30 am and there were rituals after rituals. Both the bride and the groom had not had anything to eat and I was feeling sorry for them. I couldn't stop thinking that Mallu marriages (Hindu-Nair) get over in a jiffy - The bride and the groom sit in the pandal, tie the thali, and are off for lunch within half an hour!!!

The return journey was very eventful. We arrived a bit late at Pune railways station and saw that the train was already full of passengers. In our confusion, we entered a compartment which looked empty, only to realize that it was a ladies compartment.

Finally we got our seats in another compartment and reached Bombay, from where we would fly back to Bangalore. We had booked our flight tickets by Air Deccan, who claims to be India’s number 1 low cost airline. The flight from Bangalore to Bombay was delayed by 4 hours, but since I had 2 friends, the wait did not seem long.

The return flight was delayed by 5 hours due to a technical snag. We went up to the runway, started gaining speed for take off, when the pilot suddenly applies brakes and took our aircraft back to the boarding point. Almost all the passengers lost their patience due to the long wait as well as the rude and unprofessional behavior of the flight attendants and the customer service staff.

My friend who traveled along with me has written a post on his experience with Air Deccan.

Was back in my office on Tuesday, with no time to take rest. With a hectic schedule last week and not time to take rest during this week, I’m hoping to compensate during the weekend.

2 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 1:29 AM, Blogger Thanu said...

Had to call ur mom for scrabled eggs? I thought that was funny...
I know even mallu chrisitan wedding are so short 90 mins the wedding then lunch, then everything is done.

 
At May 10, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Thanu:

What else could I do, I've never cooked in my life before!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home