Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Language No Bar - Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana

After spending the weekend with my parents in Bangalore, I was returning back to Hyderabad. I was traveling by an AP Tourism Volvo, which cost me a great deal when compared to other Volvo’s and train; but the only consoling factor was that it was cheaper than traveling by air.

There was huge excitement amongst all the travelers, which was mainly due to the Australia Vs South Africa cricket match, which was promising to go down to the wire. Soon the result of the match was out, and people were busy discussing about the match with their neighbors.

While I was talking to my neighbor about the match, the TV flickered to life, and the conductor started the DVD player, and to my horror, I saw that a Telugu movie was about to be played. I was shocked since I did not understand even a sentence in Telugu. The only thing I understood in Telugu was all the obscenities that my Telugu friends in my engineering college had taught me.

I was happy that I had brought my audio CD player along with me. My neighbor told me that the movie was one of the biggest hits of 2005, he even told me the name. I could get only word out of the long name – Nuvvustanante – and I did not feel like asking the rest of the name, since I was not planning to watch it anyways.

I plugged the CD player into my ears and started enjoying Rang De Basanti, but my eyes were on the TV, trying to grasp the story.

The story started with a woman taking her son and daughter, who were very young, to a man. The boy was hardly 8 and the girl was hardly 4. The man hands over some money to the woman, who throws it back at the man.

After leaving the town, the woman dies of shock in the train, leaving the little boy to take care of his sister. They are helped by the station master of the station where they discover that their mom has died.

The station master helps the kid in getting a piece of land, and the kid becomes a farmer. He takes great care of his sister, who grows up to be Trisha. Trisha is attending the wedding of her close friend.

I stop the CD Player, and start watching the movie. I could not make heads or tails of the dialogues, but still was able to guess a great deal about the story. Trisha was looking gorgeous as a village belle and I did not want to miss that.

One of relatives of Trisha’s friend is in UK. Responding to the invitation to attend the wedding, the mother and son from the relatives family arrive in India. The father is not able to make it since he has some prior appointment. The father’s role is played by Prakashraj (Famous Tamil actor) and the son is played by Siddharth (Upcoming hero, who has delivered hit movies like Rang De Basanti, Boys, Ayutha Ezhuttu).

Siddharth meets Trisha during the wedding, and after some cute scenes, they fall in love. Siddharth’s mother is inclined to get his son married to a girl from a rich family. She is shocked to know that her son is in love with a girl whose brother is a farmer. She humiliates Trisha and her brother and sends them home.

Stop…. I know this story…. Maine Pyaar Kiya!!! How could someone think of remaking such a hit Hindi movie???

The hero is crestfallen to know that his love has been humiliated and is sent away from him. On his way back to UK, he decides to return to India, to reclaim his love.

Returning to India to reclaim his love…. Hmm… a la DDLJ??? Ok, lets get back to the movie.

He reaches Trisha’s village, only to face the anger of the humiliated brother. He thrashes the hero and asks him to return back, but our hero persists. Trisha’s brother asks him to become a farmer and to harvest a crop.

This reminds me the task given to Salman Khan in Maine Pyaar Kiya!!!

The villains, namely the father of one of Siddharth’s prospective, rich girl as well as an admirer of Trisha, try all tricks to prevent the hero from achieving his target. But our hero manages to achieve his target, after a lot of hard work, and constant pestering from Trisha’s brother and the brother’s servant.

There were many scenes which brought back memories of Pyaar Kiya to Darnaa Kya, when the hero is peppered with trouble in order to send him back home.

The hero finally wins over the heart of Trisha's brother, and also succeeds in harvesting a healthy crop.

In the final showdown, Siddharth ends up killing Trisha’s admirer who was plotting to marry her by force, with the help from other villains. Trisha’s brother takes the blame on his own head, since his sister’s future was at stake, and lands in jail.

Siddharth and Trisha wait till Trisha’s brother gets out of jail to get married. Siddharth’s parents are also grateful to Trisha’s brother for having saved their son’s future and they accept Trisha as their daughter-in-law.

It was a great experience watching an entire movie without understanding the dialogues. It was all guess work, taking into account the emotions of the actors as well as the screenplay to guess the movie’s story.

Siddharth and Trisha made a good pair on screen, and the camerawork was also good. I liked one song also, “Kudire, Kudire”.

I searched for the movie’s details and review today on the Internet. I got to know that the movie’s title is "Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana" - Phew!!! Its Prabhu Deva’s first movie as a director. The ace choreographer-cum-Tamil actor even makes a cameo appearance during a song. I had understood most of the story without the dialogue, although I had missed some important details, which I got to know after reading a review.

The man whom the woman and her two children approach in the beginning of the story is the husband of the woman, and had left her for another woman.

Trisha's brother challenges Siddharth's to harvest a bag of paddy more that what he could harvest.

Overall a good watch.

2 Comments:

At March 18, 2006 10:31 PM, Blogger Danesh said...

The title of the movie is taken from a hit song from a 2004 hit movie called "Varsham" which had Trisha too and was later remade in Tamil called Mazhai.

Too bad that people are flicking and rehashing old stories... even worse that these movies are become hits.

 
At March 20, 2006 1:53 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Danesh:

Mazhai was released while I was in Chennai. I heard the songs in Mazahi are flicked from the Telugu version.

But there was something about "Nuvvu..." which I liked even though I knew that the storyline was flicked and even without understanding the language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home