Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Freedom of Expression

I first came upon this term, during the standoff between a management institute and the blogger community within India. Now the same term is being flashed across newspapers and news channels all over the world.

A Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten, in its September issues came out with 12 caricatures of Prophet Mohammed. If you are asking as to why they had to come out with such caricatures, then Copenhagen Post, another Danish newspaper explains, “Jyllands-Posten called for and printed the cartoons by various Danish illustrators, after reports that artists were refusing to illustrate works about Islam, out of fear of fundamentalist retribution. The newspaper said it printed the cartoons as a test of whether Muslim fundamentalists had begun affecting the freedom of expression in Denmark.”

According to me, the explanation is ridiculous. If it indeed was a test, then I hope the editors are happy with the fact that they have passed their test with flying colors. There are protests all around the globe; protesters are burning buildings, threatening more suicide bombings, killing people and also getting them selves killed.

I hope the issue dies down soon. The Danish newspaper has publicly apologized for the cartoon strip. A case has been registered in Danish court against the papers, and they would be punished accordingly, if found guilty. The Danish president has termed this event as a ‘global crisis’, and I’m sure measures are being taken to pacify the sentiments which have been hurt.

I also hope that the people, whose sentiments are hurt, forgive and forget this incident. If they have a grudge towards the entire episode and take to violence, then it does not serve their purpose. Everything gets back to square one. According to the latest news reports, an Iranian newspaper is planning to bring out its own set of caricatures depicting the Holocaust. This would only worsen the crisis.

Hope peace and normalcy returns as soon as possible.

4 Comments:

At February 11, 2006 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Arun,
By accident I came across your blogspot. And now and again I look into it. It really interests me how one from a so different culture thinks. And I actually came to the conclusion that between the cultures there are more similarities than there are differences. I liked this post, coz I too am very concerned about peace in the world. I'm from Belgium (Western Europe). This cartoons are prime news every day in my country. I see how this cartoons effect the whole world. So scarry ! In Belgium, we too make cartoons of our God, crucified, doing the most stupid things. Coz these are only cartoons. Meant to be humourous. Meant to be laughed at but not to be sarcastic or to ridicule our religion. I think everyone has a right to express himself, but people don't really have to agree with it. As long as you don't hurt anyone, it's ok. So, to me, these violent actions are senseless. I don't understand. Mohammed would never approve violence in his religion. I just don't understand people hurting other people fysically. I guess moslim people are very serious and not able to laugh or put things in perspection. Or am I too western to emphatise ? I just don't understand. I like your post coz you have constructive criticism on things, eg. on the female Indian tennisplayer who did great and only got critics about her dress. Thanks for blogging.
Keep up the spirit !
Regards, Patricia

 
At February 13, 2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

Thanks a lot.

Its not about freedom of expression, it’s about how a certain sect of people would take what you give them. In Islam, it’s sacrilegious to make caricatures or photos or any other form of depicting of Prophet Mohammed.

You will see the pictures of various gods, which people of Christianity, Hinduism or Buddhism worship, but not Islam. It’s a rule laid down in Islam long back, and according to me, all of us should respect each others religious beliefs.

So according to me, it was wrong on the part of the Danish newspaper to hurt religious sentiments, and it was equally wrong on the part of the protesters to take up arms and issue threats of revenge.

As you put in your comment, no religion professes violence as means to achieve anything.

 
At February 15, 2006 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I guess I understand now.
Respect is indeed the keyword to everything. If people would only have respect for each other, the world would be a better place. People should never hurt each other fysically or mentally in any way, in their religion and beliefs and all they stand for. I truly live up to that rule. It's a Christian value too, respect people how they are, whatever their religion or their believes might be. Every human soul is worth while. Here too, I must admit, there is a culture difference somewhere. I guess, we western people are used to make fun of serious things a lot more than asian people might do and don't get offended as easyly as moslim people are.
Today, again I saw the damage in the world caused by those cartoons, and it still frightens me. I truly wish it would come to an end. We Western people had two world wars which where hard enuogh to bear. And as for the Danish paper, they offered there exuses twice now. And in future they learned their lesson and wont do such a thing again. So, forgiveness is also a place in religion. I truly hope that moslims can forgive what happened too.
Bye, nice talking to you.

 
At February 15, 2006 10:58 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

The only thing we can do now is, to hope for good sense to prevail.

I hope the issue is settled soon, without any more bloodshed.

It was nice talking to u too. Keep visiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home