Thursday, January 12, 2006

Finally....

After procrastinating for 6 months, I’ve finally given my bike for its much required service, today. Over the past few weeks, it had shown signs of extreme wear and tear. There were noises coming from various parts, pickup was non-existent, there were layers and layers of dust and dirt on all parts except for the seat and tank.

I must say that even after its pathetic condition, I could still start my bike within a single kick, and too without using the choke or giving the accelerator. The engine is still in a good condition.

Over the course of 6 months, I had lost the use of the rear brake in my bike, due to which I was using only the front brake. This is quite dangerous, since it can cause the bike to skid. I’ve skid and lost my balance twice, but thanks to my long legs, I was able to keep them down before my bike lost total control, and gain my balance. Had my legs been short, I would definitely have landed on the road, and without a helmet, it could have been serious.

Now that’s all a thing of the past. Today evening, my bike will be returned after service, as good as new, will all its parts in perfect condition.

I am also planning to change my New Year resolution, the third resolution now reads as “I shall give my bike for service every two months.” The earlier resolution about blogging now stands null and void.

I had written a post on 4th of Nov 2005, wherein I was cursing myself for being lazy. I had even planned to give my bike for service the next day!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like the makers of the latest Aamir Khan starrer Rang De Basanti is out on another promotional stunt. I am getting fed up with the kind of stunts that’s coming out to promote movies.

Sometimes the promoters of the movie, themselves stage protests and file cases against the movie, so that there is a lot of public hype about the movie and people flock to watch the movie. The best example I can think of is the one surrounding the Manisha Koirala starring Ek Chotti Si Love Story. The case regarding the body double of Manisha was staged to create a flutter amongst the public that there are a lot of “things” to be seen in the movie.

Coming back to Rang De Basanti, the latest controversy that the Indian Air Force is against some part of the movie, has been making headlines in many news sites and newspapers. From various reports on this controversy, I now know that Madhavan is an Air Force Pilot, who flies a MIG-21.

The report also said that Madhavan dies in a crash, when he was flying with the Defense Minister. Reminds me of one of the flights taken by the previous defense minister, George Fernandes, to prove that MIG’s are safe to fly on.

Now, thanks to these reports, I know a major part of the story. After the disastrous Mangal Pandey, I was hoping that Rang De Basanti would have had a better performance and story from Aamir Khan, but I have lost interest in the movie now. Shall wait till I get further reports from my friends before going to watch it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finished reading The Day of the Jackal yesterday. Some hundred odd pages were remaining, which I managed to read by 1am. When the book is interesting and when you are nearing its climax, you don’t feel like doing anything without completing it. I was even thinking of skipping dinner, but at 10:30pm, hunger got the better of me, and I had to take a break from reading the novel.

The Day of the Jackal is one of the best novels I have read so far. A superb spy thriller, which kept me on my toes till the last page. The climax, which was over in a single chapter, was just too good, and it was fate, which saw to it that the good prevailed over the bad.

A terrorist outfit in France, during the early 60’s plot to assassinate the French President, Charles de Gaulle. They hire an unknown assassin, known only by his code name Jackal to do the work. He is a professional and prefers to work alone. Once the meeting between the terrorists and Jackal is complete and the money to do the job is transferred, the Jackal sets out on his mission – To kill one of the most well protected President in the world.

The novel is divided into three parts. Anatomy of a Plot, deals with the terrorists getting in touch the Jackal, and finalizing the deal. It also follows the Jackal who plans the assassination to the minutest detail. In the next part Anatomy of a Manhunt, the French authorities have got winds of the assassination attempt, and they appoint another professional, this time a detective Claude Lebel, to trace the killer and neutralize him. In this part, the Jackal is able to stay a step ahead of the police, thanks to informers within the French.

The final part, Anatomy of a Kill, deals with the assassination attempt on the French president.

Even thought the reader is told in the very beginning of the novel that the French President escaped all assassination attempts and died peacefully at his home, the reader does not loose his interest in the novel. Fredrick Forsyth manages to hold the reader and take him on a suspense filled ride across France.

4 Comments:

At January 12, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger Thanu said...

Is the TV there yet? Or is it coming later. So howz is the library membership coming along?

 
At January 13, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Thanu:

The TV's there, but its sitting in the cornor of the house like a display in a museum. Shall blog about that story later.

I've got a book from the library, and I'm hooked to it. Its better than spending all the money on buying the books.

 
At February 23, 2007 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do u love to code...?

 
At February 24, 2007 9:35 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Anonymous:

Yeah... I do.
I've never been a programmer in a s/w company, and all the coding I've done for myself... that may b the reason why I love to code!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home