Thursday, November 10, 2005

November 9, 2003

It’s been two years since that unfortunate incident in Kudremukh. On Nov 9th 2003, 21 of us from our college, left on bikes to Kudremukh, a beautiful location in the heart of the western Ghats in Chikmangalur district of Karnataka. It was a 90km drive, and all of us were thrilled since we had heard that the final 30kms would be through dense forests.

We left the hostel at 7:30am, hoping to return by 5pm on the same day. But we returned only at 8pm the next day, and there were just 18 of us when we returned.

On the way, there was a calm looking river, where we had stopped. The location was perfect for us to chit-chat and enjoy the place. We did enjoy the first 30 minutes there, the water was just knee high and there were beautiful rocks, beautiful location and the water was crystal clear. We were planning to stay for another hour and then start our return journey, but fate had others things stored for us.

There was one area, which looked a bit deep - the water was dark -, 3 people who knew swimming ventured in and were swimming around. Three more of our friends, who did not know to swim, but knew to stay afloat joined them.

Unknown to them at that time, the place was 18feet deep. There was a sudden increase in the currents, and the 3 who did not swimming were sucked down. The people who knew swimming tried their best to save them, but the other 3 were very well built, which made the task of pulling them out of the waters and getting them ashore, a daunting one.

The trip concluded in the most unexpected way. We lost 3 of our close friends to a moment of carelessness. People like me, who did not know swimming, were mute spectators to the horrific incident. I did what I could do – I took my bike and dashed to the police station. By the time the police and fire force came, it was too late. They were gone, never to return.

The real trauma stuck only when the parents of the three came to collect their bellowed ones. Their reaction, the pain in their faces, their tears, it can never be wiped from my memory.

It was impossible to sit in the class the next day, nobody was listening to the lectures. Three empty chairs glared at us, making us feel that they were still there, waiting for the lecture to get over, head to the canteen and have fun. A lull had descended on the college, the canteen, hostels. It took us a long time to get over it.

We have moved on, completed our education, got our jobs and passed out of the college. There were many who were wondering where those three would have been placed, if they had still been with us. I kept missed them during convocation and every other important event of the college.

Even though we have moved on, it’s not been possible to wipe their memories off our minds, or forget the trauma we underwent or forget the trauma of their parents. There have been numerous occasions when I have thought, “If only we had not made that trip.” I know it’s terribly late to hope for things like that.

The only thing I can do is to pray for their souls and pray for their parents, who would be missing them day and night for the rest of their lives.

This post is dedicated to the memory of three of my friends - Ajit Binny, Jacob Joy and Syamsundar P.

10 Comments:

At November 10, 2005 6:02 PM, Blogger GRAM said...

well... its me.... so i don't think i have to write much.. you know the story..

all i can say is that the incident still comes in my dreams and it flashes and I get up inbetween my sleep....

all i can say is that i can't forget those guys and the pain in the eyes of their parents......

Thanks for writing this Blog!!!

 
At November 10, 2005 7:27 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Gram:

The incident will remain with us, no one can forget that day!!!

I knew I would bcome sentimental after writing this post, but wrote it nevertheless.

 
At November 10, 2005 10:45 PM, Blogger Thanu said...

I am so sorry for what has happened. I can't tell I know what u r going thru, b/c I can't.

If you can try to call these 3 kids parents and talk to them once in a while. I know that is not an easy task, but it will do wonders for ur soul and also their's

-thanu

 
At November 11, 2005 6:53 AM, Blogger Krish said...

I was thinking of them just yesterday, when I spoke with Chockalingam...It is sure the saddest day of the two years that we spent there!..as you had said, those images would be in the mind forever..we had moved on in life...would keep moving on..but as they say, those cant be forgotten!.May their souls rest in peace!

 
At November 11, 2005 9:54 AM, Blogger Sushil said...

Sorry to hear about the whole incident and the loss of your friends. Unfortunately these are things you cannot ever forget, you just have to reconcile yourself to the past that cannot be changed.

 
At November 11, 2005 12:02 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Thanu:

I'm in touch with the younger brother of one of them. Had visited the family of 2 of them.

I know how appreciative they would be if I visit them, but I fear that I might bring back old memories.

@ Krish:

That day has been the worst day of my life.

Hope their souls rest in peace.

@ Sushil:

Life is a bit cruel in this aspect. A moments lapse, and it becomes a lifelong scar.

 
At November 12, 2005 2:39 AM, Blogger Parth Anand said...

sorry to read about the whole incident and the tragic events that happened. May their souls rest in peace..

 
At November 13, 2005 5:01 PM, Blogger Danesh said...

This indeed is a shattering incident, a pain with which one has to live with for the rest of the life. Not sure even if time can be a healer in this case.

 
At November 13, 2005 7:46 PM, Blogger Riot said...

Reminded of my college days. Two of my batchmates had a similar fate. The saddest part was to see their parents. There are times when I still think about the whole thing. It has been several years.

 
At November 14, 2005 12:35 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Parth:
Thanks for the wishes, Parth.

@ Danesh:
I sure even time can't heal this one.

@ OMR:
It all starts as fun, and ends as life long tragedies.
The reaction of parents was the most difficult part.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home