Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Bajaj Avenger TV ad - Review

This ad for the latest Bajaj Avenger 180cc DTSi, is capturing a lot of attention. With a caption “Feels Like God”, there is a lot of talk going on about it. It’s a bit late to write a review, since the ad came out a month ago, but considering the fact that even agencyfaqs! has not written anything about it, I think I am well in time with the review.

The ad is targeted at the executive segment and Bajaj has always got it right with this segment. First they did it with Bajaj Pulsar, their caption “Definitely Male” along with the excellent vehicle made sure that Pulsar would be the market leader in this segment. Other automobile manufacturers are trying in vain to dethrone Pulsar.

Avenger also follows the Pulsar way, trying to get to the attitude of their target segment. There are no celebrities, no sexy female with her seducing looks, no specifications of the bike, no advantages regarding fuel efficiency, nothing. Just the bike, the guy and the way he feels while driving it. Simple enough.

The ad starts with a macho guy, with a stub, wearing a black T-Shirt and a black jeans, driving his Bajaj Avenger through the roads of Ladakh.



As he is driving, he remembers his dad slapping him, which is shown in black and white. As the ad comes back to the present, the guy takes preventive action and the voice over says, “I forgive my dad”.



Next he sees a woman getting married, which is showed in B&W, and as he comes back to the present, he looks at his ring finger of his left hand and the voice over says, “I forgive women”.



Now his boss throws a pile of paper on him and fires him. He ducks while driving while imagining that. The voice over says, “I forgive my boss”.



He encounters a hole in the middle of the road, and as his bike jumps out of the hole, he looks back at it, and the voice over says, “I forgive the government”.


He traverses through roads that beautifully hug the mountain and he moves along.

The next scene that he remembers about is that of his barber about to give him a shave. Coming back to the present, he licks at the scar below his nose and the voice over says, “I forgive my barber”.



He then sees a guy on the road, trying to start his bike. He looks at the guy and the voice over says, “I forgive my past”.


As he drives along, he sees a local who was sitting and weeding the path. The local gets up, arcs his back to relieve the pain, and the voice over says, “I feel……. I feel like….”.
Then he looks up to the sky, while the voice over says, “I feel like god”.



End of the ad.


It is one of the best ads of the year, and it is sure to capture more attention. I was struck by the ad when I watched it for the first time, the voice over “I forgive my dad” and “I forgive the government”, were too good.

You can download the ad here. (Click on the "Download Goddies" at the top left of the screen)

31 Comments:

At October 05, 2005 5:52 PM, Blogger Prakash said...

Hi
I did not download the AD video...u know why...after reading i felt like i just watched it...nice written mate,,,
Prakash

 
At October 05, 2005 6:43 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Prakash:

Thanks..... :)

 
At October 06, 2005 10:31 AM, Blogger Sushil said...

Nicely written post. I liked the ad too but felt it could have been better with some more work on it. Loved the visuals and the music.I didnt care for the "I forgive women" part could have been better as "I forgive my ex or something like that"). Also "Feel like a God" would be nicer and more genteel.

Looks like you have a new & improved pic on your profile.

 
At October 06, 2005 3:09 PM, Blogger -Poison- said...

i would rate the bajaj avenger as one of the best ads bajaj has done...

but on the other side of the coin, there is the Bajaj Discover advert which simply encourages rash driving for the sake of narcissism...bad taste..

 
At October 06, 2005 4:44 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Sushil:

Thanks for reminding me about the background score. I totally forgot to mention it in my post.

About my pic, I got this new one from my collection at home when I went there last weekend.

@ Poison:

I agree with u. The new Discover ad is one of the worst I have seen.

Its so strange, same company, 2 brands, 2 different ads, 2 different reactions!!!

 
At October 12, 2005 10:21 AM, Blogger ecophilo said...

Great review. But i think the new discover ad is also a great ad. There is always something to crib and you cant satisfy everybody, but if you look at the creativity in the ad, the background score and the way it has been treated, the ad is simply great!

 
At October 12, 2005 10:40 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Neelakantan:

It depends on the taste of people. I personally feel that the new Bajaj Discover Ad is just another of the many mediocre ads.

I love ads which is aimed at the attitude of the person. Another ad which I'm beginning to like these days is the new Santro ad, which talks about all the First's in ones life.

 
At October 13, 2005 11:45 AM, Blogger Raj said...

That ad is pretty amazing.

 
At October 13, 2005 12:34 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Raj:

That's why I took all the pains to get the photos to write the review. Truly a great ad.

@ Lucio:

I'm sure that the bike will not disappoint u. 180cc, 16 bhp. with the cruise bike looks, its definitely worth a buy.

The only negative thing according to me is the pedal for resting the foot. Its not there in Avenger, while it was there in Enticer. You need a leg rest pedal when u r going for a long journey.

 
At October 14, 2005 7:05 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Wow, you actually took the trouble to get the pics to write this post.

I like the ad, even though it's not very nice to women. :) The bit I like best, though, is the "I forgive my past" bit.

 
At October 15, 2005 2:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The explanation provided with the ad makes it even more interesting to understand the same. Have you seen the other new ad, not sure of the brand. He keeps looking in the mirror mounted on a truck!

 
At October 15, 2005 3:05 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Jasmine:

Talking abt trouble for the 16 fotos, I actually downloaded the ad from the avenger site, then I downloaded VirtualDub, converted the 10MB MPEG file into 1450 JPEG files. I got the 16 for the post by scanning through the 1450!!

What's so bad in the ad about women?? For all you know, the girl would have dumped him, and he's forgiving her for that!!!!

Personally, I like "I forgive my barber". The expression the model gives during that is awesome!!!

@Kapil:

As I had mentioned in my post, its all about the way a guy feels while driving the bike. Thats the major plus point of the ad.

The ad you are talking about is Bajaj Discover. I hate that ad!!!

 
At October 15, 2005 3:54 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Actually, I like the ad that Kapil's talking about. Although it wouldn't have been as nice without the song.

 
At October 15, 2005 4:02 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Jasmine:

I too liked the song, but the picturization was not good. You could have shown "Tere Chehre Se Nazar Nahin Hatt ti" in many ways, but in the ad they are showing a guy driving rashly breaking rules, being a nuisance to others..... that's something which I did not like about the ad!!!

 
At October 17, 2005 11:18 PM, Blogger Pareshaan said...

Yeaaaah!!
Dude,
thanks for linking up to the ad. Thought it was way cool.And the soundtrack - oh yeah Baby!! Thasswassup!
Man, how I miss Desi ads, they are simply the best.
Thanks again man

 
At October 18, 2005 11:51 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Pareshaan:

Welcome..... :)

 
At November 02, 2005 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey..awesome review.. excellent...
truly the ad is marvellous..
and the bike is matching the ad.

in between Bajaj Avenger is 180Cc and not 150Cc as u have mentioned it.

 
At November 04, 2005 11:32 AM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ No-Name:

Thanks.

If u see, in one of the comments above, I had mentioned that Avenger is a 180cc bike. In the post I would have typed it 150 by mistake.

Thanks for pointing it out.

 
At March 12, 2006 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tnx dude.....I've been searchin 4 dis ad since d day i saw it......
tnx a ton times....

 
At March 15, 2006 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
cud u pls tell me wher i can download the sountrack of the Avenger ad. The song name wud also be helpful

 
At March 15, 2006 6:16 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ PRASADH:

Welcome dude.... :) :)

@ Swetha:

I have no clue regarding the name of the soundtrack. I too tried searching for the MP3, but could not succeed in getting one.

 
At March 21, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Manjari:

The jingle of this new ad for Bajaja Pulsar is good, but somehow I did not like the ad.

I get put off when they show impossible things on ads for cars and bikes.

 
At May 29, 2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

could u help me out in find the the 1st pulsar dtsi add with the stunts

 
At May 29, 2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Anonymous:

I am not sure where you will get that ad, its not there in the Bajaj Auto site.

I got the Avenger ad from the Bajaj site.

 
At June 21, 2006 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey can any 1 tel da unicorn makers to make an ad like de bajaj 1s. It wil be a gr8 favour.dat bike is gr8 but da ad really sucks!!

 
At March 05, 2007 3:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hi Iam rajiv i recently puchchase discover its a nice bike thanks to bajaj to make it

 
At March 05, 2007 3:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey guys im Rajiv i have purchase Discover today its nice bike Thanks to Bajaj to make it.

 
At March 08, 2007 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the background theme music on this ad? I like it!

 
At March 11, 2007 11:26 AM, Blogger sameer said...

hi
arun i cant figure ad uses ego or super ego of person

 
At March 21, 2007 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiiiii....Guys
could anyone help me in telling the name of the background score that comes in Pulsar DTSi add(Hrithik Roshan's)thats a good song....Please tell me the name of song....And also The backgroung music of Girls on[V] ad...where all the girls go for photo shoot @ beach...please tell me the name of both the songs

 
At March 03, 2008 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it possible to get the name of the person who did the voice for the avenger dts i ad? i'm talking about the "i feel like god" commercial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home