Monday, September 12, 2005

Operation Clean

If bachelors are staying in a house, then the house is not considered to be well maintained. It’s a common notion that there will be things strewn on the floor, things ranging from clothes, newspapers, books, mobiles, mats, sheets, and the lists are endless.

Our house is no different. I had undertaken a similar cleaning exercise on 28th of last month, and by 11th, the house had become so dirty thanks to the rains and the dust that was brought in by the shoes.

Since Gokul had moved in with me, it was easier for 2 people to clean the house rather than one poor fellow to clean it up. Looking at the condition of the house, and since it was a leave for both of us, we decided to undertake the painstaking exercise of cleaning the house.

We kept procrastinating till 11am, and finally at 11 we got into the mood and started the exercise. I decided to show off my skills with the broom while Gokul decided that his skills are better in mopping the floor.

Over the next 1 hour and 45 minutes, we cleaned 2 bedrooms, a hall, a dining room, a store room, a kitchen, a balcony, a work area and two bathrooms.

After the exercise, the house was sparkling clean, not even a speck of dust was visible anywhere. It was such a satisfying experience – we had put in the effort and the results were showing.

I prefer to clean the house myself rather than let a maid do it. Its true that it saves you a lot of inconvenience, but nevertheless, the house is cleaned to your liking and you know that you have put your best foot forward towards the effect.

We celebrated the event by heading off to Ponnuswamy’s hotel to have a sumptuous lunch. I had a plate of Chicken Biriyani along with a plate of Ponnuswamy chicken. After stuffing ourselves with food, I went home and crashed straight into the bed for a well deserved sleep.

Today morning, as I stepped into the office, our receptionist enquired as to what I did on Sunday. I proudly told her that I cleaned our house. She replied, “Bachelors, so you do it yourselves. After marriage it’s the headache of your wife to keep the house clean. For you its just an activity during your transition period, while for married-working women like me, it’s a never ending routine!!!”

Food for thought, keeping in mind the fact that she is a member of the huge middle-class society, and that too with a 2-year old kid to take care of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home