Friday, August 05, 2005

Shristi Special Academy, Bangalore

After the summers at Saatchi & Saatchi Direct, it was the time to do a 2-week project with an NGO. This was mandatory according to the TAPMI curriculum and I was cursing myself for joining TAPMI. Initially I thought I would get out the easy way – to get a certificate from one of the many NGO’s my dad knew and enjoy the 2 weeks at home. It was my dad’s idea of actually doing some work – he told me that I would be gaining valuable inputs about the realities of life. To add to my frustration, he told me that he would not be helping me in finding an NGO, and I would have to do it myself!!!!

All the other students had decided on their NGO’s. As usual, by the time I started searching for partners to do my project, most of my classmates who were in Bangalore had already decided on their projects also, so I could not join them. But one day, I get a call – it was from Sameer. He was also in the same situation as I was and he could not finalize on an NGO project. That’s when we formed the grand alliance. The world’s laziest guys going to do a project – God save the NGO!!!!

Initially we got a call from an animal welfare NGO. We visited one of their clinics, which was managed by an ex-army man. He was not sure of the project, which we were to do. The first day he took us around the facility and told us that we would be getting out projects the next day. The next day, we went there eagerly to get pur projects. They were ready and the project were –

“Why do dogs bark in the night? Is there any specific pattern?”

Initially we were dumbstruck on hearing the project. We blinked at the ex-army man, and then blinked at each other. We had no clue what to do or say, I don’t know how I was able to stop myself from rolling about on the floor and laugh!!!

I was the first to come out of the shock. I asked him, “Sir, how do you think we can proceed with the project? How do we get the required data and how do we arrive at a conclusion?” I did not get any response for these questions, so we decided that we should quit this NGO and start somewhere else. It was getting late and there was no time to do the mandatory 14-day project.

In the last moment, we get a project from another NGO called Shristi Special Academy. It was an NGO, which looks after, provides training and nutritious food for the mentally challenged. My first day at the NGO was an eye-opener. That was when I realized what dad had meant by inputs regarding the realities of life.

We were taken around the facility in the first 3 days. It was such a heart-warming experience. I had only heard or read in books that when reality hits, its hits real hard. I was experiencing it on that day. There were kids, teenagers and even grown ups, who were taller than me, but there was something common to all of them – Their mental growth did not correspond to their physical growth. There were guys who were elder to me, who were so happy to see me – The caretaker told us that they love visitors – and they took Sameer and me around the campus, showed us all their training facilities.

It was such a different experience. These guys came to us, calling us uncles, showing us the various articles that they had prepared on their own – bags, handicraft, etc. The caretaker told us that some of them were mildly autistic and with proper training and care could go on to become semi-skilled workers. There were others who were severely autistic, who would need a helping hand for the rest of their lives. The academy aims at providing training to the inmates depending on their level of mental health, so that they can live a life, which is as independent as possible.

Our project was to get more customers as well as volunteers for the academy. We were to meet potential customers, get their contact details and pass it on to the academy, who would pursue it later. We were also to get in touch with collages and get volunteers for the academy.

After I completed the project, there were many things in life that I was able to realize. For the first time, I was grateful to god for what I am. During the 10 days in the academy, I was able to experience the pain in he lives of such children. The pain their parents and other family members undergo. As dad had told me earlier, it was really an eye opener to me. That day I decided to help this academy when I would be getting my job.

I am planning to donate a part of my salary every month towards the food and nutrition of the children there. Most of the children who come to the academy are not from a well to do family. They find it hard to give proper medication and food for the children. If proper medication and nutritious food are provided, then its easy to train the children to be self-reliant.

Like minded people can get more information about the NGO, their activities, what they need, how to donate and other information regarding autism can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home