Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Saravana Bhavan

Saravana Bhavan is one of the famous chains of hotels in Chennai. I first came to know of this name in 1993, when I was in Chennai. There was a branch of Saravana Bhavan near our home in T Nagar. We used to go there atleast once every month. The chain of hotels were known for its excellent quality of food and sweets. The ‘Sambar’ is very tasty in these hotels. The chain of hotels have grown over the years, and today its known as the best destination for hygienic and quality vegetarian food in Chennai.The brand today is a global brand with its presence in 13 foreign location, apart from its branches in Chennai and New Delhi. More information about this brand of hotels can be found here.

While I was searching for information on Saravana Bhavan, I came across this interesting Review on the latest branch opened by Saravana Bhavan in London. You can go through the review here.

Yesterday night, I happened to eat at a Saravana Bhavan hotel near my new home, in KK Nagar. I could not find any marked change from the restaurant which I had visited in 1993. The same white uniformed waiters, the same steel tumblers. But I was appalled at the quantity of food they served.

My usual dinner at Vasanth Bhavan (Upcoming chain of vegetarian food hotel), costs around Rs.50 and the quantity of food is filling. Yesterday, in Saravana Bhavan, I had ordered more items than I would have normally have and ended up feeling hungry even after having 4 items. The only reason that stopped me from eating more was the fact that I was about to touch the 3 digit mark in terms of cost.

I paid the bill in the old fashion – pay the money at the counter, without paying any tip to the waiter – and left the hotel with a half empty stomach, and an unsatisfied mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home