Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Changes to my Blog

Since I am not good at HTML, changing the contents in my blog is truly an experience. Initially I thought that I could get a book from the library and modify things. I tried it at TAPMI, but was soon bored since it was taking a long time and I was not reaching anywhere in terms of modifying the contents. That’s when I hit upon this simple idea – Get the source of the pages you like and modify accordingly in your page!!!

The first such operation was conducted on Karthik’s blog. After that I had not touched the settings and the blog was as it is. For the past few days, I have seen a lot of new things on other blogs, which I wanted to add to mine. First one was the “Currently Reading” section, which I added without any help from other blogs. The main thing which I wanted in my blog was a Visit Counter. I had seen such a counter in Krish’s blog as well as Yash’s blog.

Since I have been free for most of the day; I tried to get this thing on my blog. Firstly I tried Krish’s blog, but somehow I was unable to get any help. Then I tried Yash’s blog and this time I was able to find out that he had got this service from StatCounter. So I go ahead and sign up with them, get the codes which is to be added to my existing HTML code, and there it was – Everything which I wanted was there on my blog.

Here are some other updates that I wanted to post.

Started Don Quixote. The narration style is so very different from the novels that I have read so far. Read some 20 odd pages and its interesting so far.

The maid has not been coming to clean my house for sometime now. Its in a mess and there are also a lot of clothes to wash. Hope she comes today and gets my house back in order. Now I know why my mom tells me to marry whenever I complain of my untidy house – we men are so good at making the house dirty and I don’t know how these women have the ability to keep the house clean all the time.

I have also been smitten by the investment bug. I am looking at various options of investing my money to gain maximum benefits. Looking at Mutual Funds, Insurance, NSC, etc. There are a few hurdles like not having a good advisor/agent to help me out, some difficulty with Internet banking, due to which I am not entering the foray now, but I hope I can get into all that from next month onwards.

Even thought there are a lot of things I do not like about Chennai, the cost of living here is very less when compared to Bangalore. I am able to save a considerable amount of my salary, and inspite of the fact that I will end up spending around 8k for my house and other things, I can still invest around 6k after repaying my education loan as well as giving a part of my salary to mom.

5 Comments:

At July 20, 2005 4:11 PM, Blogger Rex Tom C Vadakel said...

Hmmm, the bug is real good.....carry on with it....infect it to the maximum......

 
At July 20, 2005 4:14 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Rex:

I forgot to mention that u r my financial advisor ;)

 
At July 20, 2005 5:28 PM, Blogger Krish said...

Oops!...I cud guess why you couldnt find the code for the counter...may be coz,I had changed the layout for faster loading of the page and you would have searched for the counter at the end, while the code for the counter would be in the middle...was that the reason??

 
At July 20, 2005 5:32 PM, Blogger Arun R said...

@ Krish:

No Krish, I got ur counter code, but I ran into some problem at the RapidCounter Website.

I was unable to log on and get the things I wanted (God knows why!!)

Anyways StatCounter looks better, so opted for that.

 
At July 20, 2005 6:48 PM, Blogger Krish said...

oh..ok;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home