Tuesday, June 28, 2005

New House & Virus in my Office Computer

The computer that I have been assigned to had been showing problems from the day I sat on it. From the first day it was slow and whenever I opened the Task Manager, I found that the CPU Usage was 100%. My first reaction was to delete all the cookies, Temp files, Temporary Internet Folders of all the users of the system. The problem persisted.

Now it was time to take more effective tests. It was time to run a virus scan. To my utter surprise, I discovered that my computer did not have any Anti-Virus or Anti-Spam software installed. So I called up the admin and got the Symantec anti virus installed. Immediately upon installation, I saw that the computer was infected with W32.MyTob.As@mm virus and there were Trojan Horses also.

I was shocked. Mainly due to the fact that I had opened my ICICI bank account and changed my password. Since the virus was detected, I thought that the threat is minimized now, and I need not bother.

Things don’t settle smoothly. I have had many moments in life, which reinstates the fact as told in Five Point Someone (written by Chetan Bhagat, and one of my favorite novels) – “When you think that you have fixed everything in life, it comes right back to screw you.” From the moment of installing the anti virus, I keep getting alerts every 5-10 minutes that a virus had been found. This continued in spite of having deleted all related files, cleaning all registries. I had no clue as to what is to be done. To add to my frustration, the computer was still slow. I checked out the CPU usage, and it was still hovering around the 100% mark. I checked the process which was using up all the processor’s capability. It was a process called “taskgmr.exe”. On referring Google, I found that it was due to the MyTob virus. The virus was still in my computer.

I decided to consult the experts once again. The admin was called and he fixed it. He downloaded the latest patch for windows 2000, also the latest Windows updates. Then he ran the MyTob fixing tool available from the Symantec site and fixed the virus for good. Now I have my computer back, as good as new, without any viruses. The first thing I did was to change my ICICI passwords.

Yesterday I also went to take a look at the house I was talking about in the previous mail (The house is in KK Nagar). It was a good one, in a nice locality. I liked the place and I have decided to take it. The water is good, and I will not be facing the problems, which I am facing at the current place of residence. It is also closer to my office. So in all respects it’s a good house.

1 Comments:

At June 28, 2005 11:59 AM, Blogger GRAM said...

which area is the house?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home