Wednesday, June 22, 2005

First weekend at Chennai

This is my first post from my company.

The induction is over, and all the 9 of us have been allotted to their respective departments. I have got “Corporate Support Group - IT”. It is the department that takes care of all the IT related activities of my company. During the first year, the emphasis is on learning. So we would be required to do various projects under our departments as well as other departments.

I have got my first project. It comes under the technical name “Server Consolidation”. It is done by organizations which has a large number of servers distributed at different locations. This situation leads to a lot of cost as well as data vulnerability for the company. To reduce cost and to increase reliability, companies group various tasks accomplished by many servers into tasks that can be handled by a fewer number.

More details about Server Consolidation can be found in the sites of IBM, Wipro and DELL. These companies have developed their own methodology of server consolidation.

I have started the project and I am currently collecting data regarding the servers and the applications that run in each server.

I did not go home last weekend, even thought I got 2 holidays. In my company, the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of a month are off, the rest are working. The reason for staying back was to search for a house. After a week of thought regarding shifting, I had still not decided whether to leave Gokul and to search for a new house. So I did not search for a house.

On Saturday, we (Gokul & I) went for a movie – Anniyan. It was the latest movie Directed by Shankar. Vikram played the lead role. It was a time pass movie, can be watched once. The movie lacked the originality of Gentleman, Indian or Mudhalvan. All the 4 movies had the same theme – To remove corruption and onset of utopia. The plus points of the movie was style, extensive use of computer graphics, choreography of songs and the heroine (she was looking real cute in the movie). Vikram has done well in his role, he was amazing in the scene where he shifts between his alter egos. Two songs which I liked are “Iyyenggaru Veetu…” and “Kumaari…”

We had gone for the second show at Satyam. Met one of my classmate Santhosh Raghavan on the theater. The show got over at 1:50am. The return trip was good, empty stretches of roads. We reached back home within 15 minutes. The journey to the theater took us 40 minutes.

On Sunday, I went to Besant Nagar beach with another of my TAPMI classmate Anirudh Baskaran. Actually I had gone to his place to look for a house along with him. He had recently known that his posting was in Chennai. He is with Sify, and Sify has a policy wherein they pay the deposit for the house taken by employees and they encourage a group of their employees staying together. So that option was also closed for me.

Lets hope that I get settled in a new house soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home