Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Dharmasthala & Shringeri

After convocation, it was time to go to places with my parents. They wanted to visit temples, since we had already gone to Mookambika, it was time for the other famous places around Manipal. So we thought about Dharmasthala and Shringeri.

The day started off with an adventure. During convocation, we met Sunil Nair's parents and they also expressed their desire to make the trip with us. Since there were 6 of us, we required a Qualis to make the journey as pleasant as possible.

In the morning when I was leaving the hostel, I came across a taxi driver and asked him the details about the trip, he was very helpful and even offered to get a taxi for me. He got me in touch with a Qualis driver and i called him to the hostel, without even asking about the rate.

The guy came within a few minutes, and then I asked him about the rates, which were quiet high, so called my dad and made the taxi driver to talk to him. But things did not work out and my dad asked me to leave him and come to the hotel, where they were put up.

Now the things started to change, the taxi driver was annoyed. He was justified in being so, since it was my mistake. But during his arguments he asked me whether i was in my senses or not. Now these words worked like magic, i was pretty much cool till then; but as soon as i heard those words, i lost my cool and started shouting at him. He was asking for 100/- for making the trip from the taxi stand to the hotel. My anger made me forget all the logic he was talking about.

I straightaway told him to get lost, and challenged him to do anything to make me pay 100/-. I started walking from the hostel to the rickshaw stand, and he followed me to the stand. He reached the stand before me and started gathering people. Strangly I was not even bothered with the 4 people waiting for me in the taxi stand. The driver straightaway pointed to his 3 new friends and asked me to pay.

I could not believe myself when I started to shout back at him. I stood tall, over the 4 of them, and shouted my heart out. Threatned them to use whatever method they knew to get 100/- from me. After 2-3 minutes, out taxi driver was alone, his new found friends had deserted him. So when I started to get away from the scene, he did not dare do anything, just got into his taxi and left. I never knew that I had so much courage to face 4 people who were looking very threatening in the beginning, anyways it was fun!!!!

I reached our hotel, took my parents and went to the hotel where Sunil's parents were put up. We arranged a taxi from the hotel and had a great day.

Baring that incident, the rest of the day was great. Both the temples were great, the drive was excellent.

Dharmasthala was really hot. We had to leave our footwear a long place away from the temple and had to walk barefoot on the road, which was a terrible experience. I nearly burned my feet.

In Shringeri, after the visit to the temple, we went to the banks of the river Tunga, where people where feeding fishes. The fished were huge and they flocked in large numbers to the banks to be fed. I could not stop myself from thinking how tasty they would be if they were friend and served to me. They were really huge and looked tasty!!!!

We returned to Manipal via Agumbe. We were late to get to the sunset point, so missed the amazing site from there. You can see the sea and the sun setting from up there. The place is atleast 50kms from the seashore.

We reached Manipal at 8pm and I went straight to the hostel to finish packing. There were a few things left to be done and I finished them off in 20 minutes. That was quick!!!!

We got into the bus at 9:45 and left for Bangalore.

Good bye Manipal!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home